Saturday 1 March 2008

Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome


Having overcome the Iliotibial Band Syndrome with regular massaging of my quads to make them nice and supple so as to prevent over-tightening of my iliotibial band alongside my left knee, I've now developed a tendency for sharp pain below the left knee, caused by the section of the itb that splits off under the patella (kneecap) becoming too stiff. This means a few days off running, and a few more days on cross training. And I need to get my fingers in deep into the knot of fatty muscle tissue under my kneecap to get this bit of my knee to loosen up too. My physio didn't give it a name and although it's linked to my previous knee problem (it's all part of the itb), this time the pain is from a quite different bit. It's not a pain that is easy to run through either, as I could cause this bit of tissue to become inflamed and then it can get pinched under my kneecap and then hurt even more. So it's more heat, more massaging and more of something other than running to keep me fit. I should be back running in a few days. In the meantime, here's a picture of a knee (albeit a right one)...

No comments:

Running 13.1 miles in memory of Carl

I ran the Silverstone Half Marathon on 15th March 2009. I managed the 13.1 mile course in 2 hours and 4 minutes. Not a bad effort for my first Half Marathon! I returned in 2010 to run it in 1 hour 54 minutes, and plan to do it again in 2011. I decided to run this in aid of The PSC Trust and PSC Support in memory of my brother Carl, who died from liver failure in November 1997. If you'd like to sponsor me for this - please email me at pscrun@ulen.me.uk PSC Trust
PSC Support Or visit my Justgiving page for PSC Support at PSC Support - Justgiving
Have you signed up to the national donor register? If you haven't yet done so, please think about it, and let your family know your wishes.
Give the gift of life.
Join the NHS Organ Donor Register
Organ Donor Line 0845 60 60 400
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/register