Friday 1 August 2008

Dagnabbit!

Distance: about 5 miles
Time: about 25 minutes

I dusted off my bike this morning, stuck it in the back of the car and set off to work. At Steventon (2.5 miles away from RM) I parked the car up, got my bike out and rode off in the other direction the ~5 mile journey the long way round (the flat way!) The shorter route means cycling up and down a big hill and across a busy roundabout. Not something I want to attempt until I'm a bit fitter.

From home to work it's a 12.5 mile ride (15 the flat way). Not a ride I'll be attempting every day, nor one to do the whole distance. Not until I'm a bit fitter. Do you see a theme here? In September I'm planning to drive half way / cycle half way, and by next year maybe up to the full distance.

All was going well this morning until I got to Milton village (about ⅔ of the way). The wind against me had picked up, slowing me down to barely 10mph and my back tyre was making more and more of a rumbling sound ... as my tyre became less and less inflated. By the time I got to Milton Park I was knackered and cycling on a completely flat back wheel. Darn. I don't think I'll be riding back to Steventon after work!

Then to top it all, I must have sat on my cateye computer, or someotherhow squashed its buttons when I was getting changed - resetting my time, distance and average speed for the trip. Oh well, it wasn't the most impressive bike ride I've done. Tomorrow I'm off to hunt down a new bike, one that will be a joy to ride and one that will get me to work on a regular basis (from an increasing distance away from the office), thus getting me fit and reducing my petrol costs dramatically!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I wondered why the car had gone so early-very impressive! keep up the good work.

Running 13.1 miles in memory of Carl

I ran the Silverstone Half Marathon on 15th March 2009. I managed the 13.1 mile course in 2 hours and 4 minutes. Not a bad effort for my first Half Marathon! I returned in 2010 to run it in 1 hour 54 minutes, and plan to do it again in 2011. I decided to run this in aid of The PSC Trust and PSC Support in memory of my brother Carl, who died from liver failure in November 1997. If you'd like to sponsor me for this - please email me at pscrun@ulen.me.uk PSC Trust
PSC Support Or visit my Justgiving page for PSC Support at PSC Support - Justgiving
Have you signed up to the national donor register? If you haven't yet done so, please think about it, and let your family know your wishes.
Give the gift of life.
Join the NHS Organ Donor Register
Organ Donor Line 0845 60 60 400
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/register