Saturday 4 September 2010

Day 84 - Saturday 4th September: Charney 20

Run: 20 miles
Time: 3 hours 19 minutes 56 seconds



On Monday I ran 18 miles from Stanford - Denchworth - Charney Bassett - Lyford - West Hanney - Southmoor - Charney Bassett - Gainfield - stopping just short of Stanford and walking back to cool down.

Today I ran almost the same route, but in a different order, joining up the bits I missed around Charney Bassett and between Lyford and Denchworth:

Stanford - Charney Bassett - West Hanney - Southmoor - Charney Bassett - Lyford - Denchworth - Stanford.

I deliberately ran it more slowly, so completed the extra 2 miles in an extra 27 minutes. It may not have been much further, but it certainly was much harder. Although I did still manage to up the pace on the last couple of miles, completing the last one in a bit over 9 minutes, so overall I'm still happy with the outcome.

I set off later than planned as I realised I'd forgotten to get any more gels and was down to my last two. It would have been a real struggle to get round this long distance without the added fuel on the way round to keep me going. So I nipped into Abingdon first to grab a couple of Go gels from Fit2Run. Not my normal brand, but they did the job. I have used them before so knew I didn't run the risk of an adverse reaction for trying them out for the first time!

I'm glad that when you run a marathon there are water stations on the way round. Today I took a litre of water and 750ml of lucozade sport, and although I'd drunk most of them towards the end of the run, my arms were feeling it from having had to carry the extra weight all the way around with me!

No comments:

Running 13.1 miles in memory of Carl

I ran the Silverstone Half Marathon on 15th March 2009. I managed the 13.1 mile course in 2 hours and 4 minutes. Not a bad effort for my first Half Marathon! I returned in 2010 to run it in 1 hour 54 minutes, and plan to do it again in 2011. I decided to run this in aid of The PSC Trust and PSC Support in memory of my brother Carl, who died from liver failure in November 1997. If you'd like to sponsor me for this - please email me at pscrun@ulen.me.uk PSC Trust
PSC Support Or visit my Justgiving page for PSC Support at PSC Support - Justgiving
Have you signed up to the national donor register? If you haven't yet done so, please think about it, and let your family know your wishes.
Give the gift of life.
Join the NHS Organ Donor Register
Organ Donor Line 0845 60 60 400
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/register