Tuesday 7 September 2010

Day 87 - Tuesday 7th September: Steventon Hill

Run: 4.43 miles
Time: 36 minutes 52 seconds



A brisk run today, including a steep hill climb in less than half a mile. Average over the distance still 8m19s.

I could have done the 5 miles loop again today, albeit not at last week's super speedy 7½-minute pace, but I chose the hilly route today instead. I haven't practised my hill runs enough in training for Loch Ness. It's all too easy to get into a routine of doing the same routes. I only have a few chances left to get some gradients in.

I set off quite steady, speeding up all the way, covering nearly two miles before I hit the muddy path alongside the railway. Even playing dodge the puddle, I made it to Steventon still under 8½ minutes a mile. Then it's the steep hill. According to my Garmin it was a 90ft gain in about 700 yards, which would make the gradient a mere 1 in 22. If feels steeper than that. Still, I made it to the top in good time, clocking up an 8m34s mile with the hill.

Then it's back downhill to the A34 roundabout, where I was lucky with the lights and the traffic, and got back onto Milton Park without too much delay, making an 8-minute-mile to finish.

No comments:

Running 13.1 miles in memory of Carl

I ran the Silverstone Half Marathon on 15th March 2009. I managed the 13.1 mile course in 2 hours and 4 minutes. Not a bad effort for my first Half Marathon! I returned in 2010 to run it in 1 hour 54 minutes, and plan to do it again in 2011. I decided to run this in aid of The PSC Trust and PSC Support in memory of my brother Carl, who died from liver failure in November 1997. If you'd like to sponsor me for this - please email me at pscrun@ulen.me.uk PSC Trust
PSC Support Or visit my Justgiving page for PSC Support at PSC Support - Justgiving
Have you signed up to the national donor register? If you haven't yet done so, please think about it, and let your family know your wishes.
Give the gift of life.
Join the NHS Organ Donor Register
Organ Donor Line 0845 60 60 400
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/register