Monday 13 April 2009

65 miles from the sea

Distance: 2.27 miles
Time: 21m08s
Mile 1 - 9m38s
Mile 2 - 9m09s
0.27m - 2m21s

In England, apparently, you are never more than 65 miles from the sea. I live 65 miles away from Southampton. And 65 miles away from Portishead. But I'm not sure the saying holds true for the whole country. I mean, where's the nearest sea to Nuneaton? Why am I talking about the sea? Well it's a bank holiday of course. But no, I haven't been to the seaside today. I've been to the riverside. Lunch on an island in the middle of the Thames to be precise. No, I mention the seaside as when I set off for my "20 minute" recovery run this evening, around ten to eight, I pass an ice cream van. Playing "Oh I do like to be beside the seaside". It sets off in one direction, I in another. After posting a letter, I turn left. I can still hear the van's warbled tones, inviting the village kids out to delight in frozen desert as the sun goes down. At the end of the High Street, I carry on into Chapel Lane, and as I turn left into Cottage Road, I hear the van again. I'm convinced its tinny tune is going to torture me for the the whole of my run, but perhaps he's realised business is too slow at 8pm on a mid April evening and calls it a day.

Blip, Mile 1 down. 1-and-a-bit to go. I head up to the main road, and turn left. My legs, having felt a bit tired and achy for much of the day, walking around Abingdon, have now loosened up a bit. I knew running is better than walking, and I'd feel a lot better when I got into it. I pick up the pace slightly, and am soon turning left into the High Street once more. I follow an inner loop to get me back home, clocking up about 2¼ miles in 21 minutes. When I set off I was not looking forward to the run. I feel I should be resting today. But a plan is a plan. These recovery runs have a purpose, so I stick to it. And now I'm feeling a lot less achy and am looking forward to tomorrow's rest day. So I'm glad I stuck to it and got my scheduled run in. Back running on Wednesday.

2 comments:

Rebecca Vincent said...

Probably the nearest beach to Nuneaton is Kings Lynn, but thats 98 miles away!! It could be that we are all an average of 65 miles from the sea? I mean we, in Portsmouth, live less than 5 miles from the sea.

Love Rebecca

Heidi said...

not sure average works, as an island nation, that distorts too many of the figures, surely?

Running 13.1 miles in memory of Carl

I ran the Silverstone Half Marathon on 15th March 2009. I managed the 13.1 mile course in 2 hours and 4 minutes. Not a bad effort for my first Half Marathon! I returned in 2010 to run it in 1 hour 54 minutes, and plan to do it again in 2011. I decided to run this in aid of The PSC Trust and PSC Support in memory of my brother Carl, who died from liver failure in November 1997. If you'd like to sponsor me for this - please email me at pscrun@ulen.me.uk PSC Trust
PSC Support Or visit my Justgiving page for PSC Support at PSC Support - Justgiving
Have you signed up to the national donor register? If you haven't yet done so, please think about it, and let your family know your wishes.
Give the gift of life.
Join the NHS Organ Donor Register
Organ Donor Line 0845 60 60 400
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/register