Monday 6 April 2009

Easy does it

Sports massage: painful(ish)
Time: 60 minutes

Distance: 625m
Crawl: 25 lengths

Distance: 1.88 miles
Time: 20m27s


After my LONG LONG run (did I mention it was 20 miles?!?), I'd treated myself to an hour-long sports massage yesterday evening. Something to look forward to on the 3½ hour run, that I'd have any kinks and aches and pains pummelled out of me to aid a speedy recovery. The niggles and aches that I'd developed over the latter stages of the run did indeed need un-knotting. And bits of it hurt. Quite a bit in fact. Funnily though my back felt ok, but the sports therapist found some very tight bits which I hadn't realised were there. The hour seemed to pass by quickly. Shame, I could have stayed a lot longer. Is there an irony that "Pain Killer" by Turin Brakes, which was on in the background, will always now be associated in my head with "Pain"?

Today, I can walk. Not comfortably. But on the whole better than I have been in the past. I was quite tired, and didn't know if I really had the energy for my usual recovery session in the pool. But I managed to not talk myself out of it - and headed off for a swim. I decided that I wouldn't do the usual 32 lengths if I wasn't up to it, but anything over 20 would be good. I stopped at 25, given that the "fast lane" was quite busy today and I was alternately being overtaken and having to overtake slower swimmer myself (which made a change, but also made it harder). It was worthwhile though, as after lunch my legs felt a lot less stiff and achy.

Then this evening I set out for a gentle 20 minute recovery jog. And rather than boring laps of the village, I set out on a slightly random route, not planning particularly where I was heading, just letting my Garmin map the time and distance, and deciding on the way where I'd go so as to arrive back home in roughly 20 minutes. That should have loosened up my legs a bit more and help to get the muscles back in a state of repair fit for tomorrow's "brisk" 30 minutes.

No comments:

Running 13.1 miles in memory of Carl

I ran the Silverstone Half Marathon on 15th March 2009. I managed the 13.1 mile course in 2 hours and 4 minutes. Not a bad effort for my first Half Marathon! I returned in 2010 to run it in 1 hour 54 minutes, and plan to do it again in 2011. I decided to run this in aid of The PSC Trust and PSC Support in memory of my brother Carl, who died from liver failure in November 1997. If you'd like to sponsor me for this - please email me at pscrun@ulen.me.uk PSC Trust
PSC Support Or visit my Justgiving page for PSC Support at PSC Support - Justgiving
Have you signed up to the national donor register? If you haven't yet done so, please think about it, and let your family know your wishes.
Give the gift of life.
Join the NHS Organ Donor Register
Organ Donor Line 0845 60 60 400
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/register