Friday 24 April 2009

Am I ready for Sunday?

As ready as I'll ever be. Just a gentle 10 minute jog in the morning, and then it's the BIG one on Sunday. At last.

It's gone sponsorship crazy this week. In the last 5 days I've had 22 online sponsors donating £290 between them. And offline I've raised another £46 that I know of, and pledges of money from a few more people too. My work should be topping up my total as well, with a £500 donation and they also promised to match pound for pound everything I raised over my £1500 target. All in all once all my potential sponsors are in, and I've been round with a bucket next week when I show off my medal (and fading green hair), takes me up to somewhere between £2400 and £2500. I wonder if I can make it to £2620 and raise £100 for every mile I run?

I've also had some great comments this week - most in response to my green hair. Here are some of the best:
• Ulen running something more strenuous than a bath? Well why not, good luck with it!
• You look like Keith Allen!! cool x
• The frog is out of the box!
• Do you glow in the dark ??!!???
• Enjoy being green! Ribbit :)
• Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!! (that from my sister!)
• You look like a white (and green!) Djibril Cissé
• That hair is ridiculous! (in good way - v v green!)


I've carbo loaded and hydrated all day. Two lunches (baked potato for the first one about noon, followed by pasta & veg about 2ish!). Two cups of tea (one redbush, one decaff green). Half a litre of cranberry juice and 4 cups of water. Then liver & pasta for dinner. More carbs tomorrow, and in the afternoon I catch the bus to London, hopefully to meet up briefly with another of this year's runners and also one who did it last year. And then off to stay with my cousin who lives near the start (well a few miles away) to round off the day with another pasta dinner!

I've got all my stuff ready so just need to pack tomorrow. Obviously I need to remember my vest (spot the name courtesy of Becki Saves The Rhino look out for "mad frog" on the back!); number (49341 - affixed to vest); running shoes (complete with red laces); Championship Chip (fixed to laces); FLM 09 marathon adidas shorts; seamfree boxers; X-socks (run sky run); Garmin (not that it will be accurate - especially through Docklands); Vaseline (for armpits); Body Glide (for toes); zinc oxide tape (for nipples); Suncream (???); Justgiving sweatband (for wrist); Lucozade carbo gels (5? 6? however many will fit in my shorts pocket); old jumper (to ditch at the start); kit bag (with number); goodies for after the race (Wispa bars - thanks Lauren!! xxx); change of clothes for after. What have I forgotten?

Right then, off down the pub for a quick pint or six... and an early night.


No comments:

Running 13.1 miles in memory of Carl

I ran the Silverstone Half Marathon on 15th March 2009. I managed the 13.1 mile course in 2 hours and 4 minutes. Not a bad effort for my first Half Marathon! I returned in 2010 to run it in 1 hour 54 minutes, and plan to do it again in 2011. I decided to run this in aid of The PSC Trust and PSC Support in memory of my brother Carl, who died from liver failure in November 1997. If you'd like to sponsor me for this - please email me at pscrun@ulen.me.uk PSC Trust
PSC Support Or visit my Justgiving page for PSC Support at PSC Support - Justgiving
Have you signed up to the national donor register? If you haven't yet done so, please think about it, and let your family know your wishes.
Give the gift of life.
Join the NHS Organ Donor Register
Organ Donor Line 0845 60 60 400
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/register