Tuesday 7 April 2009

Zig-zag or Zag-zig?

Distance: 3.71 miles
Time: 30m23s
Mile 1 - 8m25s
Mile 2 - 8m07s
Mile 3 - 8m07s
0.71m - 5m43s



This evening called for a 30 minute "brisk" run. I decided to run straight after work, on the 4-mile route I normally do, and run as much of it as would fit into 30 minutes. Somewhere around 3½ miles. I set off a bit later than planned. Why do I still procrastinate? I know I enjoy running now. Why don't I just get out there and do it? I think it's because my legs still feel a bit tired and sore after the weekend (did I mention I ran 20 miles on Sunday?)

Anyway, it was a lovely evening, or so I thought, and I head off. I'm soon into a brisk pace and worrying myself that as per usual I've set off too quick, and won't keep it up at this rate for 3 miles, let alone 30 minutes. But hey, I'll see what happens. My legs are on autopilot already and I zip round Mile 1 in under 8½ minutes. Then when I head West out of Sutton Courtenay I feel the wind on my face. Ooh, this doesn't feel good. Normally a bit of a breeze doesn't bother me, but this I can really feel. It must be slowing me down, right? Um, no. A quick glance at my Garmin and I'm running sub-8-minute-mile pace. Good grief. When did I speed up? Well this wind is annoying me, I'll keep it up until the corner at least, and hope when I turn South the wind drops.

I turn into Milton village, and the wind is still against me. This doesn't feel good, but strangely the rest of me does. My legs refuse to slow. I miss Mile 2 go by as I'm watching out for cars as I run along the narrow pavement. Darn. Oh well - it must have been quite good as I haven't clocked up 17 minutes yet. When I reach Milton Park I realise I'm going to end up running past my work at this rate (the normal 4 mile route takes me past where I work and round the block). Perhaps if I double back round some of the roads in a zig-zag it will mean the 30 minutes is closer to work, so I don't have too far to walk back when I'm done. And it'll make for a good map on my Garmin (see above), and give me an excuse to tell a terrible joke (see below).

So I run back and forth round some of the units in the business park. I feel like I'm tiring a little, but am pleased to see I'm still keeping up an ~8-minute-mile pace. Mile 3 clocks up at 8m07s and I'm only about 5 minutes away from work. And far from slowing down now, I just keep on running. I'm really enjoying it this evening. Where did my aches go? They disappeared when I started running. Perhaps I should stop walking everywhere and run instead. It feels so much better. 30 minutes looms and I'm on the road back to work. I was going to stop dead on 30 and walk the rest, but I was so close I ran the last 23 seconds too.

Back to stretch, and change, and then home for coley fillets with parsley sauce topped with cheese all on top of a huge pile of brown spaghetti for dinner. Maybe an odd combination, but I have to mix things up a bit with all the pasta I eat these days so that I don't die of boredom! While I was cooking I let my Garmin upload its data, and was pleasantly surprised to see I'd run 8m07s for both Miles 2 & 3 and averaged an 8-minute mile pace for the last 0.71 mile section.

To finish... the joke I promised you. Enjoy!

Two dyslexic skiers are at the top of the ski slope. The instructor says "Right then, you just go down here, zig-zag -zag zag. Follow me!" and heads off down the mountain. The first skier is about to go, when he turns to the other and says "Did he say zig-zag zig-zag or zag-zig zag-zig?", and the other replies "Ooh, I dunno. I'll ask this bloke with a sled, he'll know..." so the second skier turns to another chap and asks "Excuse me, when we go down this slope, do we go zig-zag zig-zag or zag-zig zag-zig?" to which he replies "Sorry, I can't help you there, I don't ski. I'm a tobogganist" and then the first skier says "Oh, that's good. Can I have 20 Marlboro lights and a box of matches?"

2 comments:

Phil said...

you could see the punchline coming, but there was nothing you could do and just had to let it hit you...

Heidi said...

Don't give up the day job!

Running 13.1 miles in memory of Carl

I ran the Silverstone Half Marathon on 15th March 2009. I managed the 13.1 mile course in 2 hours and 4 minutes. Not a bad effort for my first Half Marathon! I returned in 2010 to run it in 1 hour 54 minutes, and plan to do it again in 2011. I decided to run this in aid of The PSC Trust and PSC Support in memory of my brother Carl, who died from liver failure in November 1997. If you'd like to sponsor me for this - please email me at pscrun@ulen.me.uk PSC Trust
PSC Support Or visit my Justgiving page for PSC Support at PSC Support - Justgiving
Have you signed up to the national donor register? If you haven't yet done so, please think about it, and let your family know your wishes.
Give the gift of life.
Join the NHS Organ Donor Register
Organ Donor Line 0845 60 60 400
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/register