Sunday 18 January 2009

It's a breeze!

Distance: 8 miles
Time: 1h15m32s
Mile 1 - 10m28s
Mile 2 - 9m22s
Mile 3 - 9m51s
Mile 4 - 9m22s
Mile 5 - 9m18s
Mile 6 - 9m36s
Mile 7 - 9m00s
Mile 8 - 8m35s

It's a funny thing this running lark. Today's run was quite up and down. I set off on the same 8 mile run I did last week, but this time in reverse - running it clockwise. I seemed to set off at quite a slow pace, or at least it took longer than expected to complete the first mile. Although the mile measurements are only approximate, as I don't have a device for measuring my distance on the go, I map out my route beforehand and remember where the "mileposts" are.

However then I seemed to pick up my feet a bit and get into the stride. A quarter of the run in and I'm feeling good. There was a strong breeze in places, but nothing like the howling gale of last night. Mile three and I've slowed down again, and I'm beginning to think this week's run will be slower than last. Although that doesn't matter too much, it's kind of missing the improvement that my training plan suggests. Mile 4 and I'm loving it. This run feels GREAT. It's a doddle. Why am I only running 8 miles today? I feel like I could do 10 or even 12!

Then by mile 6 I'm flagging again. Where did my positive mental attitude go? Why do my legs feel like jelly? How much would it really matter if I stopped running now and walked the last two miles home?

Mile 7 back into a head wind. This feels tough. Head down, legs striding out. Come on, not long to go now, I'm nearly there. And what do you know? In spite of running into the strong breeze, I clock up my fastest mile so far. So in a complete contrast to the way I had been feeling not ten minutes earlier - that I was almost spent - I suddenly find some extra reserves I didn't know I had, and I'm romping home for the last mile, running it even faster still.

I wonder if I'll find the same level of energy to run the last mile in London, and sprint up The Mall to the finish line?!?!!

Right then, off for a long hot bath to relax my legs, and a huge plate of brown pasta...

No comments:

Running 13.1 miles in memory of Carl

I ran the Silverstone Half Marathon on 15th March 2009. I managed the 13.1 mile course in 2 hours and 4 minutes. Not a bad effort for my first Half Marathon! I returned in 2010 to run it in 1 hour 54 minutes, and plan to do it again in 2011. I decided to run this in aid of The PSC Trust and PSC Support in memory of my brother Carl, who died from liver failure in November 1997. If you'd like to sponsor me for this - please email me at pscrun@ulen.me.uk PSC Trust
PSC Support Or visit my Justgiving page for PSC Support at PSC Support - Justgiving
Have you signed up to the national donor register? If you haven't yet done so, please think about it, and let your family know your wishes.
Give the gift of life.
Join the NHS Organ Donor Register
Organ Donor Line 0845 60 60 400
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/register