Tuesday 10 August 2010

Day 59 - Tuesday 10th August: Stanford 8 laps

Run: 8.44 miles
Time: 1 hours 5 minutes 20 seconds



Another speedy run this evening. The plan was a "brisk 60 minutes". Having run 7.62 miles in an hour last week, I thought I'd go for it again, but this time carry on for 8 laps (of the slightly shorter variety - just over a mile each). If I matched last Thursday's pace, I could run 8 miles in about 63 minutes.

A slight spanner in the works - it rained today. All day. The thought of going for a fast run in the rain was not appealing. Luckily it had stopped and was quickly clearing up by about 6pm and by the time I got home it had brightened up a lot, so I got changed, and set off with my sunglasses into the evening sun. The pavement was a bit slippy when I set off, so I took it carefully to begin with, but was soon running at a comfortable sub 8-minute-mile pace.

I'd set off counterclockwise again (despite thinking I'd change direction this week), so was putting in the fast sections in the same places as before - but not quite as distinct as last time. I kept my overall pace faster, and the "sprint" sections not quite as fast as last time. This was a deliberate choice to make sure I could keep up this "10k" pace for the full 8+ miles. I didn't want to burn out on the sprints, or worse - risk an injury by slipping on the wet pavement if I was going too fast.

By the end of mile 4, my average times have drifted from 7m45s a mile down to 7m48s. Can I do a negative split to get the average back down? Or will the second half prove tougher? As long as I can keep it under 8 minutes a mile I'll be happy. Once mile 5 is finished, however, I can feel I've got enough in me to keep pushing through miles 6, 7 & 8 to beat my 63 minute target.

The sun is low in the sky, and I ditch my shades as I pass my car, now I don't need them to blot out the glare as I run directly into the light. I up my pace, just a bit, I still have three miles to do, and I know I'm tiring. I don't want to blow up too soon, but I do want to run as fast as I comfortably can.

Mile 6 is good, mile 7 whizzes by in a blur and then I'm still going for it - I'm on my last mile.
I reach 7.73 miles in an hour; 8 miles in under 62 minutes; and the full 8 laps in 65 minutes.
According to the
Lucozade Sport website, this kind of pace could mean a Half Marathon in 1h44m and (get this!) a Full Marathon in 3h37m

1 comment:

mum said...

well done. check earlier entries. love from mum

Running 13.1 miles in memory of Carl

I ran the Silverstone Half Marathon on 15th March 2009. I managed the 13.1 mile course in 2 hours and 4 minutes. Not a bad effort for my first Half Marathon! I returned in 2010 to run it in 1 hour 54 minutes, and plan to do it again in 2011. I decided to run this in aid of The PSC Trust and PSC Support in memory of my brother Carl, who died from liver failure in November 1997. If you'd like to sponsor me for this - please email me at pscrun@ulen.me.uk PSC Trust
PSC Support Or visit my Justgiving page for PSC Support at PSC Support - Justgiving
Have you signed up to the national donor register? If you haven't yet done so, please think about it, and let your family know your wishes.
Give the gift of life.
Join the NHS Organ Donor Register
Organ Donor Line 0845 60 60 400
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/register