Wednesday 11 August 2010

Day 60 - Wednesday 11th August: new LBT class

Gym class
LBT: 45 minutes

Since the beginning of August there's a new timetable for the gym classes. Out goes Stability Ball. Out goes Body Burn 50/50. LBT is extended to 45 minutes, and brought forward to 6.15pm. All to make way for a new Body Pump class, which sounds a bit too intense for me. So now I'm down from 4 classes on a Wednesday evening to 1, if that. Getting to the 6.16pm class is a bit of a pain, as it means I have to leave work during the busy rush-hour period and travelling to Wantage & getting changed in under half an hour is a bit of a squeeze. And because the class finishes at 7pm, I'm not hanging about for over 1½ hours to go to Yogalates too. I'm not a happy gym bunny.

I may try Body Combat just to see what it's really like, but the classes I go to have been chosen to improve my core, invaluable as a runner. Body Pump strikes me as a bit too much cardio and not enough core fitness. I could try aquacise instead? That might be more suitable - doing a zero impact class.

So, the new LBT is actually quite good, but seems I'll have to book ahead if I want to go again. There were six of us, plus the instructor, and that's the maximum the tiny room will hold. It was still a bit of a squeeze as it was. Amy did her best to break me, as usual, and, as usual, was happy when she did. I failed on one of the squats, as I couldn't get straight up & down into the next one, having just held the squat for a count of eight. I do like the new class - the extra 15 minutes means we have time to really get a good workout - normally the half hour flies by, especially with the warm up and stretch down time.

We did loads of ab crunches too. 8 normal ones (knees bent, feet on floor). Then one foot crossed over the other knee - 8 twisting up to meet the opposite knee. Swap legs. Three repeats of 8 each, and a fourth repeat of 4 each.
Next 8 normal, 8 with knees bent at 90ยบ, 8 with legs straight up. These were hard. I had to rest my feet back down on the floor instead. Three repeats of each type. Then lastly lower abs with legs out straight on the floor, toes pointed. 8 of these then 8 lifting one leg up and down. 8 with the other leg. Another 3 repeats of each. She worked us hard!

Overall a good class, but a shame I don't get the 2¾ hour workout I used to on a Wednesday.

No comments:

Running 13.1 miles in memory of Carl

I ran the Silverstone Half Marathon on 15th March 2009. I managed the 13.1 mile course in 2 hours and 4 minutes. Not a bad effort for my first Half Marathon! I returned in 2010 to run it in 1 hour 54 minutes, and plan to do it again in 2011. I decided to run this in aid of The PSC Trust and PSC Support in memory of my brother Carl, who died from liver failure in November 1997. If you'd like to sponsor me for this - please email me at pscrun@ulen.me.uk PSC Trust
PSC Support Or visit my Justgiving page for PSC Support at PSC Support - Justgiving
Have you signed up to the national donor register? If you haven't yet done so, please think about it, and let your family know your wishes.
Give the gift of life.
Join the NHS Organ Donor Register
Organ Donor Line 0845 60 60 400
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/register