Monday 16 August 2010

Day 65 - Monday 16th August: Long swim

Distance: 1550 metres
Time: 55 minutes

I got to the pool earlier than usual, to give me plenty of time for today's swim. En route I realised I'd just about have time to swim a mile (64½ lengths), and wish I'd set off five minutes earlier. I set off at a comfortable pace, in a rather narrow "fast" lane, since a third of the pool was roped off for a lifeguard lesson. There were about three others swimming in the fast lane, one of whom was quite speedy indeed.

I did my best to keep going, only pausing briefly every two lengths, turning and kicking straight off the wall in between. After a while all the others got out, leaving me alone to complete the last 20 or so lengths alone. When I reached 50 lengths, the lifeguard told me to change lanes, as the training session had ended and they were removing the lane I was in. His timing wasn't great as I was just about to kick off for my 51st length.

With less than 15 minutes to go, it would be close to get another 14+ lengths in, but I kept going, hoping to make it. I know I can usually do the last couple a bit faster, but in the end, it wasn't to be. I'd set off on my 61st trip up the pool, and the ladies waiting for their aquaerobics class started to get things ready, and invaded the fast lane. On the return length I could barely get through... which was a bit annoying as there were still a few minutes to go until the clock said it was 8. I sprinted the last half and got out. Just 2½ lengths off swimming a mile. Oh well. Next time...

No comments:

Running 13.1 miles in memory of Carl

I ran the Silverstone Half Marathon on 15th March 2009. I managed the 13.1 mile course in 2 hours and 4 minutes. Not a bad effort for my first Half Marathon! I returned in 2010 to run it in 1 hour 54 minutes, and plan to do it again in 2011. I decided to run this in aid of The PSC Trust and PSC Support in memory of my brother Carl, who died from liver failure in November 1997. If you'd like to sponsor me for this - please email me at pscrun@ulen.me.uk PSC Trust
PSC Support Or visit my Justgiving page for PSC Support at PSC Support - Justgiving
Have you signed up to the national donor register? If you haven't yet done so, please think about it, and let your family know your wishes.
Give the gift of life.
Join the NHS Organ Donor Register
Organ Donor Line 0845 60 60 400
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/register