Wednesday 10 October 2007

I passed my "MoT"

So I went to the doctor yesterday and said "Doctor, I can't stop singing The Green, Green Grass of Home" The doctor said "That sounds like Tom Jones syndrome to me" I said "Is that common?" She said "It's not unusual"...

As with any physical activity programme please consult your GP before commencing if you have any health concerns.

Since I'm a bit overweight, and a bit underfit - I thought it best to be sure to get my GP to give me the once over before I get my training underway. She weighed me, measured my height and took my blood pressure. They were: a bit more than I expected; just what I expected and completely new to me - so unexpected (respectively).
I thought I was 90kg (14.2 stones), and it turns out I am 93kg (14.6 stones).
I thought I was 5'9" (1.76m) and I am. However my weight/height index makes me a bit more lardy than I thought (Darn that cake I had on Monday!). According to the Doctor I am a bit overweight - but nothing a bit of exercise won't sort out.

I don't remember having my blood pressure taken before (which is not strictly true - I've had it taken a few times, but I've never paid attention to the results). So this was new to me. I'm 140/85, which is a little high, but nothing to worry about and nothing that a bit of exercise won't sort out.
According to bbc.co.uk health I'm on the verge of hypertension and should do the following to reduce it:
  • Have your blood pressure checked regularly every few years

  • Reduce your salt intake

  • Don't smoke

  • Eat low-fat foods

  • Keep to your ideal weight

  • Drink safe amounts of alcohol

  • Take regular exercise

  • Reduce your stress


  • I will get my blood pressure checked again in a few months. Tick.
    I already have a low salt intake. Tick.
    I gave up smoking 5 years ago. Tick.
    I generally eat a balanced diet. Tick.
    My ideal weight is about 2 stone less than it is now...
    I drink in moderation, well under the 21 units per week. Tick.
    I exercise very little....
    My stress levels are ok, most of the time...

    So only a couple areas of concern. And the best way to lose weight, do more exercise and reduce stress is to do some exercise!

    Lastly I asked the Doctor if my cholesterol level should be checked, and she said that I can have it checked if I like, but a high level won't interfere with my ability to run a marathon, and if it was too high a bit of exercise would bring it down again.

    She was happy that my plans to gradually build up my fitness over the next three months and then to increase my running in the 3 months leading up to the marathon is a sensible approach, and I should consider a half marathon a couple of months before the full one so I'll know whether I'm up for it.

    So all in all I think the advice is clear. I need to exercise more!!!

    No comments:

    Running 13.1 miles in memory of Carl

    I ran the Silverstone Half Marathon on 15th March 2009. I managed the 13.1 mile course in 2 hours and 4 minutes. Not a bad effort for my first Half Marathon! I returned in 2010 to run it in 1 hour 54 minutes, and plan to do it again in 2011. I decided to run this in aid of The PSC Trust and PSC Support in memory of my brother Carl, who died from liver failure in November 1997. If you'd like to sponsor me for this - please email me at pscrun@ulen.me.uk PSC Trust
    PSC Support Or visit my Justgiving page for PSC Support at PSC Support - Justgiving
    Have you signed up to the national donor register? If you haven't yet done so, please think about it, and let your family know your wishes.
    Give the gift of life.
    Join the NHS Organ Donor Register
    Organ Donor Line 0845 60 60 400
    http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/register