Wednesday 16 January 2008

Swimming lessons

I started swimming lessons this evening. I've been swimming for 30 years, but never very well. If I'm going to go to the pool to get in some worthwhile cross training, then I want to know how to do it well, so I enjoy it and get a good workout, and don't come away afterwards having drunk half the pool, or with cramp from trying too hard and too inefficiently to swim that extra length.

I've started a six week course at tfd to learn breaststroke and crawl; how to move my arms and legs correctly and when and where to breath. Today - breaststroke: I learnt that I shouldn't move my arms in a complete semi circle; and that my legs were next to useless as my feet were too pointed, so were hardly propelling me through the water. Ok, so I know how I should be doing it now, but it's hard work and will take some practice to throw off my ingrained bad style to get it right. If I'm thinking about how my feet should be working, I don't move my arms properly, and if I try to remember my arms, I forget to breathe and so my brain gives up controlling my feet... and then I'm back to square one!!

Back running tomorrow....

No comments:

Running 13.1 miles in memory of Carl

I ran the Silverstone Half Marathon on 15th March 2009. I managed the 13.1 mile course in 2 hours and 4 minutes. Not a bad effort for my first Half Marathon! I returned in 2010 to run it in 1 hour 54 minutes, and plan to do it again in 2011. I decided to run this in aid of The PSC Trust and PSC Support in memory of my brother Carl, who died from liver failure in November 1997. If you'd like to sponsor me for this - please email me at pscrun@ulen.me.uk PSC Trust
PSC Support Or visit my Justgiving page for PSC Support at PSC Support - Justgiving
Have you signed up to the national donor register? If you haven't yet done so, please think about it, and let your family know your wishes.
Give the gift of life.
Join the NHS Organ Donor Register
Organ Donor Line 0845 60 60 400
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/register