Friday 27 February 2009

7 miles an hour!

Distance: 6.96 miles
Time: 58m02s
"Mile" 1 - 9m34s
"Mile" 2 - 8m27s
"Mile" 3 - 8m00s
"Mile" 4 - 8m01s
"Mile" 5 - 7m59s
"Mile" 6 - 8m00s
"Mile" 7 - 8m01s

I've joined the Didcot gym for a week, so I can work on some core muscle strengthening. The chap who showed me round was very helpful and showed me some exercises. One of them, on the leg press, looks a bit tricky, but I'll be back this evening to give it a go. Basically you use a very low weight and "run" on one foot, lifting off at the toe and landing on the heel and moving the foot around in a square. This mimics the running action and builds strength in all areas of the leg.

As I was going out yesterday evening, however, I didn't have time for exercises and an hour's "brisk" run, so I settled for just a speedy treadmill session on its own. I still haven't quite got the hang of counting in 1.609km units, so kept it simple at 1600m "laps". I set off at a steady pace to warm up for the first "mile", and then I set the treadmill to 12kph to go for a really brisk run.I had to pause on "mile" 2 as my towel dropped off the handrail, and there was a flash of pink under my feet as it sped off behind me. Back on again and back up to 12kph and there I kept it until the end of "mile" 7.

So in the end, wow!! Quite the fastest I've ever run over that kind of time and distance. I think that deserved the rather nice meal (and wine!) I had at The Shiraz on Oxford's Cowley Rd afterwards.

No comments:

Running 13.1 miles in memory of Carl

I ran the Silverstone Half Marathon on 15th March 2009. I managed the 13.1 mile course in 2 hours and 4 minutes. Not a bad effort for my first Half Marathon! I returned in 2010 to run it in 1 hour 54 minutes, and plan to do it again in 2011. I decided to run this in aid of The PSC Trust and PSC Support in memory of my brother Carl, who died from liver failure in November 1997. If you'd like to sponsor me for this - please email me at pscrun@ulen.me.uk PSC Trust
PSC Support Or visit my Justgiving page for PSC Support at PSC Support - Justgiving
Have you signed up to the national donor register? If you haven't yet done so, please think about it, and let your family know your wishes.
Give the gift of life.
Join the NHS Organ Donor Register
Organ Donor Line 0845 60 60 400
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/register