Monday 2 February 2009

All quiet on the western front

Ok, so I haven't been blogging for a week, as I was seeing how things went after last Sunday's niggling pain towards the end of my 9 mile run.

I had a complete rest day last Monday.
I swam on Tuesday.
I went to yoga on Wednesday.
I had a scheduled rest day on Thursday.
I skipped my run on Friday (I wasn't feeling too well anyway).
Saturday was also a scheduled rest day (although I did go for a 2-mile walk).

So.... Sunday:
Distance: 1½ miles
Time: 15m52s
Mile 1 - 10m02s
Mile 2 (half) - 5m50s

Having taken a week off running, I set out for my scheduled "100 minutes slow jog". I'd bumped into my physio in the running shop on Saturday morning when I popped in for some glucose gel sachets. I'd told him about the niggling pain, and he said to keep up with the rolling of my quads (which I'd been doing, 5-10 minutes each day), to take it easy and to try to roll over my foot a bit more than usual rather than springing up off my toes as I lift off. So I did this and mile 1 felt very comfortable. I'm feeling good, and looking forward to running ten 10-minute miles. Then on mile 2.... my right leg started to hurt again. So rather than push it, I slackened off my pace completely and gave up after half a mile when I realised it would be no good.

I've booked an appointment to see a Sports Massage Therapist on Wednesday, so hope that she can help loosen up my ITB (for that is what it feels like is hurting), and then I need to concentrate on the right kind of stretching so I can get on top of the problem before it gets any worse. That way I can get back on track with my training asap.

In the meantime I think it'll just have to be non-impact cross training.
Today I was back in the pool:
Distance: 800m
Crawl: 30 lengths
Breaststroke: 2 lengths.

Tomorrow I may go for a longer swim after work, or perhaps some rowing.
I shall see how things go...

No comments:

Running 13.1 miles in memory of Carl

I ran the Silverstone Half Marathon on 15th March 2009. I managed the 13.1 mile course in 2 hours and 4 minutes. Not a bad effort for my first Half Marathon! I returned in 2010 to run it in 1 hour 54 minutes, and plan to do it again in 2011. I decided to run this in aid of The PSC Trust and PSC Support in memory of my brother Carl, who died from liver failure in November 1997. If you'd like to sponsor me for this - please email me at pscrun@ulen.me.uk PSC Trust
PSC Support Or visit my Justgiving page for PSC Support at PSC Support - Justgiving
Have you signed up to the national donor register? If you haven't yet done so, please think about it, and let your family know your wishes.
Give the gift of life.
Join the NHS Organ Donor Register
Organ Donor Line 0845 60 60 400
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/register