Wednesday 11 February 2009

A mixed bag of exercise

Today I'd booked another appointment with the Sports Therapist, as after my 16k run on Monday, my legs were really stiff yesterday. I was worried I'd overdone things a bit...
However after yesterday's swim, and more stretching, things were getting better, and today I felt pretty much fine again.

Again, to make the most of my week's pass at the gym, I nipped in at lunchtime for a half hour non-impact workout. I started off with with various machines, concentrating mainly on my legs. I stretched my thighs (inner and outer), my quads (both legs, then each leg in turn), my hamstrings (ditto), and various others, including some upper body work on chest & biceps. But mostly I stuck to the leg & thigh stuff. Then I finished with a 10 minute cardiovascular workout on the rowing machine, 2.34km at an average of 31 strokes per minute. Built up a nice sweat there.

Then I kept my appointment with the Sports Therapist, and got a good massage on my right leg, to loosen up my ITB which is still a bit sore and strained. She's also running the London Marathon this year, so we swapped tips. Well, she being the expert personal trainer, there wasn't much I could teach her, but could pass on the odd bit I've learnt about what to expect on the day.

And then this evening another 1.5 hour yoga flow session. We're half way through the course now, so are getting pretty practiced at the sun salutation routine, and went through that a few times fairly quickly, working up another sweat. Then some slightly more advanced stretching, and some new poses. One was the boat? I think I just about got half boat. The teacher made a joke that if you were comfortable in full boat pose, the next step would be to lift your tail off the floor. Ha ha.

Right then, I must be due a run tomorrow?

No comments:

Running 13.1 miles in memory of Carl

I ran the Silverstone Half Marathon on 15th March 2009. I managed the 13.1 mile course in 2 hours and 4 minutes. Not a bad effort for my first Half Marathon! I returned in 2010 to run it in 1 hour 54 minutes, and plan to do it again in 2011. I decided to run this in aid of The PSC Trust and PSC Support in memory of my brother Carl, who died from liver failure in November 1997. If you'd like to sponsor me for this - please email me at pscrun@ulen.me.uk PSC Trust
PSC Support Or visit my Justgiving page for PSC Support at PSC Support - Justgiving
Have you signed up to the national donor register? If you haven't yet done so, please think about it, and let your family know your wishes.
Give the gift of life.
Join the NHS Organ Donor Register
Organ Donor Line 0845 60 60 400
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/register