Friday 13 February 2009

Please note this is a false alarm, do not evacuate the building...

Distance: 4 miles
Time: 36m09s
Mile 1 - 9m20s
Mile 2 - 8m55s
Mile 3 - 9m00s
Mile 4 - 8m54s

Today I managed to get back on track on my training plan. I spent half an hour in the gym, working through all the machines, alternating between leg work, and upper body. I even tried the ab cruncher and the lower back exercise too, which I skipped last time. I concentrated on doing 20-30 reps on low weights.

Then what I really came in for - a brisk "40 minute" run. I set-off slowly for the first couple of minutes to thoroughly warm up, then I upped the pace to a brisk 11kmph so I'd be running 9-minute miles. I'd set the treadmill to do 6.5km today so I would actually do 4 full miles (unlike the 16km run on Monday which was only 9.94 miles). So after my dull and boring long treadmill run earlier in the week, I found the advantage of treadmill running today as I was able to set a consistent pace and stick to it (only slowing down briefly to drink some lucozade sport on mile 3). Then I walked for 4 minutes to cool down, and stretched carefully (ITBs, quads, hamstrings).

I was wearing a new t-shirt today for my run. Which turned out to be a bit of a mistake. Although I'm really happy that I now fit a Medium, when less than six months ago I would only feel comfortable in an XL, what I hadn't spotted was it had a poly-cotton mix. The poly was enough to make me sweat buckets, and sweat + t-shirt + run = sore nipples. Normally I use some Bodyglide anti-chafing stick whenever I run for 5 miles or more, but today's extra sweatiness caused soreness after only 4 miles...

Another downside of treadmill running I've found is blisters. I've run over 400 miles on the road, and never once had a blister. I've run 14 miles on this week's two treadmill runs, and both times I've ended up with blisters. Hmmm, not great. I must remember to treat my toes to some Vaseline before my next run.

And to top it all off today, I'd just got in the shower at the leisure centre, got all soaped up... and the fire alarm went off. Oh great. What to do? Um, do I get dressed as quick as poss and rush out in damp clothes. Or do I go out in the rapidly cooling night in just a towel? Um.... is it really even a fire alarm? Or perhaps it was the pool alarm. Then a voice comes over the tannoy system. It was a false alarm. But hold on, what did she say? Please .... this ... is ... alarm ... evacuate ... building. Not the best tannoy system in the world, and it took a few listens to get that it was a false alarm and to not evacuate! And at the same time one of the centre staff came in to explain that it was the steam from the showers that had set-off the smoke detectors! Phew. I can get showered and changed in peace.

No comments:

Running 13.1 miles in memory of Carl

I ran the Silverstone Half Marathon on 15th March 2009. I managed the 13.1 mile course in 2 hours and 4 minutes. Not a bad effort for my first Half Marathon! I returned in 2010 to run it in 1 hour 54 minutes, and plan to do it again in 2011. I decided to run this in aid of The PSC Trust and PSC Support in memory of my brother Carl, who died from liver failure in November 1997. If you'd like to sponsor me for this - please email me at pscrun@ulen.me.uk PSC Trust
PSC Support Or visit my Justgiving page for PSC Support at PSC Support - Justgiving
Have you signed up to the national donor register? If you haven't yet done so, please think about it, and let your family know your wishes.
Give the gift of life.
Join the NHS Organ Donor Register
Organ Donor Line 0845 60 60 400
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/register