Sunday 15 February 2009

500 days gone, 70 to go

Distance: 11 miles
Time: 2h12m56s
Mile 1 - 11m11s
Mile 2 - 10m57s
Mile 3 - 11m45s
Mile 4 - 13m22s
Mile 5 - 12m45s
Mile 6 - 12m12s
Mile 7 - 11m46s
Mile 8 - 12m34s
Mile 9 - 12m22s
Mile 10 - 12m39s
Mile 11 - 11m23s


This morning I made my last visit to the Leisure Centre on my week's pass to attend a yoga session there. It was much more basic than the yoga flow class I attend in Oxford, but it was interesting to go through some different movements from what I've learnt so far.

Then I spent half an hour in the gym, working my way through the machines again, strengthening all areas of my body: thighs, arms, chest, tummy, lower back, and legs - but only very light weights on my hamstrings and quads, repeating 20 times on each leg individually. Having finished on the chest press, I headed off home for some brown pasta for lunch.

This afternoon I set off on my LSR, long slow run. I chose the 12 mile route I have mapped out, but since the plan was to take only 120 minutes running at a "very easy" pace, I reckoned I'd make it to 11 miles and then walk the remainder back, taking a short cut to make it a half mile cool down. It was quite tough today, to begin with I found it hard to run slowly, as part of me wanted to up the pace to 10-minute miles, but in the end I managed to slow to a bit above "plod" averaging about 12-minute miles. Some of the time I felt I'd found a steady pace, other times it seemed a struggle. I was also conscious that my right knee felt slightly uncomfortable now and then, but never developed above a kind of tired feeling to anything at all painful. Whenever I felt my knee was uncomfortable I made more of an effort to lift my head, and lift my tail, improving my posture as I ran and this made everything feel so much better.

So I've now made it to 11 miles. The furthest I've ever run in one go. It's been 500 days since I started training to run a marathon, I've clocked up a fraction under 450 miles in that time. And now there are just 70 days to go until the big day itself.

No comments:

Running 13.1 miles in memory of Carl

I ran the Silverstone Half Marathon on 15th March 2009. I managed the 13.1 mile course in 2 hours and 4 minutes. Not a bad effort for my first Half Marathon! I returned in 2010 to run it in 1 hour 54 minutes, and plan to do it again in 2011. I decided to run this in aid of The PSC Trust and PSC Support in memory of my brother Carl, who died from liver failure in November 1997. If you'd like to sponsor me for this - please email me at pscrun@ulen.me.uk PSC Trust
PSC Support Or visit my Justgiving page for PSC Support at PSC Support - Justgiving
Have you signed up to the national donor register? If you haven't yet done so, please think about it, and let your family know your wishes.
Give the gift of life.
Join the NHS Organ Donor Register
Organ Donor Line 0845 60 60 400
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/register