Monday 16 February 2009

Why's the pool so busy? Oh, it must be half term...

Distance: 800m
Crawl: 32 lengths

I could tell the pool was going to be busy today as soon as I entered the changing rooms, just from the sheer noise in the centre. When I saw the pool itself though, I was still surprised since I've never seen it so full. Ok, no alternative today then, I'm going to have to go in the sectioned off "Fast" lane, because swimming in the main section of the pool will just be impossible. Normally I don't like swimming in the fast lane, as I always feel like I'm getting in the way of the proper swimmers who are there going up and down, up and down, up and down. I prefer to go up. And down. And then up again. I rest as and when I need to between lengths. The other downside of the sectioned off lane, is that it's in the deep end, so harder to rest at that end.

Anyway, I did my best, and kept my rests to the bare minimum, and paused and moved over whenever a faster swimmer neared the end of their length - to allow them to set off again before me. Luckily the sectioned off lane was wider than usual, so there was even ample room for the fastest swimmers to overtake in the lane itself if needs be.

Overall another pretty good swim for my "recovery" day, and I think I swam the (almost) half mile in the quickest time I've ever done it, by virtue of taking much shorter rests between lengths.

No comments:

Running 13.1 miles in memory of Carl

I ran the Silverstone Half Marathon on 15th March 2009. I managed the 13.1 mile course in 2 hours and 4 minutes. Not a bad effort for my first Half Marathon! I returned in 2010 to run it in 1 hour 54 minutes, and plan to do it again in 2011. I decided to run this in aid of The PSC Trust and PSC Support in memory of my brother Carl, who died from liver failure in November 1997. If you'd like to sponsor me for this - please email me at pscrun@ulen.me.uk PSC Trust
PSC Support Or visit my Justgiving page for PSC Support at PSC Support - Justgiving
Have you signed up to the national donor register? If you haven't yet done so, please think about it, and let your family know your wishes.
Give the gift of life.
Join the NHS Organ Donor Register
Organ Donor Line 0845 60 60 400
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/register