Tuesday 31 March 2009

5 marathon month

Distance: 5 miles
Time: 43m26s
Mile 1 - 9m06s
Mile 2 - 8m54s
Mile 3 - 8m40s
Mile 4 - 8m34s
Mile 5 - 8m08s

I'd planned to run 4.2 miles today (a 40 minute "brisk" run). This would bring my total for the month to 130.2 miles, averaging 4.2 miles per day for each of the 31 days of March. I kind of like the symmetry of running 4.2 miles to bring my daily average to 4.2 miles.

But then out on the run, somewhere along mile 2, it suddenly dawned on me that 130.2 miles is very close to 131 miles. And 131 miles is ten half marathons. Five marathons. In one month.

And given that I am unlikely to come close to running the equivalent of 5 marathons in one month again (well not until next time I'm mad enough to enter myself in for a marathon!), it would be a shame to have come so close to this milestone, and yet fall 0.8 miles short of it.

So I upped my pace a bit, and altered my route slightly so that I could cover 5 miles instead of the planned 4.2 and blow me if I didn't manage a really rather brisk pace for the distance.

And as well as now having run 131 miles in March, I've also run 264 miles in 2009...

2 comments:

merry Terry said...

So glad to know you are keeping up with the statistics - it even sound interesting. I also appreciate your sense of humour! i am impressed by your progress.
All good wishes for a successful conclusion to all this effort.
Merry Terry

Mum said...

Five marathons in one month - WOW! please don't overdo it now.Keep up the good work. Will we see you on 'telly'?

Running 13.1 miles in memory of Carl

I ran the Silverstone Half Marathon on 15th March 2009. I managed the 13.1 mile course in 2 hours and 4 minutes. Not a bad effort for my first Half Marathon! I returned in 2010 to run it in 1 hour 54 minutes, and plan to do it again in 2011. I decided to run this in aid of The PSC Trust and PSC Support in memory of my brother Carl, who died from liver failure in November 1997. If you'd like to sponsor me for this - please email me at pscrun@ulen.me.uk PSC Trust
PSC Support Or visit my Justgiving page for PSC Support at PSC Support - Justgiving
Have you signed up to the national donor register? If you haven't yet done so, please think about it, and let your family know your wishes.
Give the gift of life.
Join the NHS Organ Donor Register
Organ Donor Line 0845 60 60 400
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/register