Wednesday 4 March 2009

Spring has unsprung

Distance: 6 miles
Time: 57m59s
"Mile" 1 - 9m54s
"Mile" 2 - 9m38s
"Mile" 3 - 9m37s
"Mile" 4 - 9m36s
"Mile" 5 - 9m37s
"Mile" 6 - 9m37s


Making the most of my week's free pass to the gym, I decided to head off early this morning and get today's scheduled 60 minute run in before going to work. I decided on the treadmill so that I could get a steady paced run in, in the warm and the dry. That said it wasn't too wet this morning (compared to last night's wind and rain), but was cold enough to mean a delay in leaving the house, having to defrost the car before I set off. Where did spring go? It was really pleasant and sunny at the weekend, and I was just starting to look forward to running out and about in the good weather. The low winter sun shining off the wet roads made for a potentially lethal drive in too. There should be a law against that much glare when you're driving.

Anyway, I made it to the gym, set the treadmill to 9.6k, did a couple of hundred metres warm up at 8kph and then upped it to 10kph for the remainder. Boring boring boring. I wish I'd gone out in the cold and run round the village instead, but no, keeping up with a steady run is good today, and the lower impact is good for my knees too. Keep going keep going. As always it seemed an age to get to half way, but gradually felt better after that as my legs were on autopilot and each stride was taking me that much closer to finishing. Got there in the end. Phew. Off for a shower, and stretches and then a day's work.

Roll back to yesterday evening. I was toying with the idea of running the gentle 30 minutes that I'd missed on Monday at the gym, but again the treadmills were taken. So I spent half an hour on some strength work again. 100 reps each on the adductor & abductor. 50 reps on the chest press & shoulder press. 20 reps on each leg on the leg press. Oh, and then here's a new one I haven't tried before - pectorals! So I did 50 reps on that one too. I can't work out if all this gym workout is building up my muscles so that I've put on weight, or whether perhaps the curry I went out for last night for a work do had something to do with that!

No comments:

Running 13.1 miles in memory of Carl

I ran the Silverstone Half Marathon on 15th March 2009. I managed the 13.1 mile course in 2 hours and 4 minutes. Not a bad effort for my first Half Marathon! I returned in 2010 to run it in 1 hour 54 minutes, and plan to do it again in 2011. I decided to run this in aid of The PSC Trust and PSC Support in memory of my brother Carl, who died from liver failure in November 1997. If you'd like to sponsor me for this - please email me at pscrun@ulen.me.uk PSC Trust
PSC Support Or visit my Justgiving page for PSC Support at PSC Support - Justgiving
Have you signed up to the national donor register? If you haven't yet done so, please think about it, and let your family know your wishes.
Give the gift of life.
Join the NHS Organ Donor Register
Organ Donor Line 0845 60 60 400
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/register