Tuesday 10 March 2009

All the verge running

Distance: 3 miles
Time: 31m35s
Stopwatch
Mile 1 - 10m28s
Mile 2 - 10m35s
Mile 3 - 10m31s

Garmin
Mile 1 - 10m31s
Mile 2 - 9m56s
Mile 3 - 10m02s
0.11m - 1m04s

This evening called for a steady 30 minute run. I headed out for 3 laps of the village, armed with both stopwatch and Garmin. I needed both so I could record the laps from house to house, and also to let the Garmin record what it thought the actual mile laps were.

I spent pretty much half of each lap running on the grass verge for a change, at the advice of my sports therapist. A harder workout on my ankles, yet a softer workout on my knees. A bit rough in places, as the odd rut caught me out in the dark. Hmmm. This harder workout might be good for strengthening my ankles, but I don't want a sprain, so I?

I was a little disappointed to see that my Garmin measured the first lap back to my house at almost exactly a mile. I'd always assumed it was a bit closer to 1.1 miles, so all the laps I've done in training have been further, making the eventual 26.2 miles seem a little shorter! So I was a little bemused when I passed my house for the 2nd time to note that my Garmin had already clocked up over 2 miles. Then it recorded the end of Mile 3 about a minute before I got home.

I guess GPS positioning is just something I have to get used to. It's great for convenience, but not fantastic for accuracy. Here's a review of the Forerunner405. Though I was pleased that I'd had a decent steady workout this evening, I was quite annoyed that when I plugged my ANT USB stick into my laptop it didn't work first go. Then I plugged it in again and the ANT software seemed to be running, but no icon appeared in the system tray. I'd activated my Garmin from standby mode and nothing much was happening. I'm just about to track down the support page, and my watch bleeps and says "Transferring data". After an age, this is still what it says. Still no sign of the ANT device running on my laptop. Oh well, I fire up the Connect website to look for help, log in (why didn't it "Remember me" from last time?), and there is my run. All uploaded and ready for me to update its details. Yet my watch still says "Transferring data" and there's still no icon?

Ah well, I got there in the end. Oh, and look at my squiggly map. That explains the shorted first lap, it thought I'd started from someone's garden in the road round the corner?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dad and I are very impressed with your determination and dedication, and we wish you well in all your endeavours. But most of all we are very proud of you, and hope you are able to achieve all you want.
Love from Mum, (and Dad, of course)

Heidi said...

Who's garden have you been stepping in?!

Running 13.1 miles in memory of Carl

I ran the Silverstone Half Marathon on 15th March 2009. I managed the 13.1 mile course in 2 hours and 4 minutes. Not a bad effort for my first Half Marathon! I returned in 2010 to run it in 1 hour 54 minutes, and plan to do it again in 2011. I decided to run this in aid of The PSC Trust and PSC Support in memory of my brother Carl, who died from liver failure in November 1997. If you'd like to sponsor me for this - please email me at pscrun@ulen.me.uk PSC Trust
PSC Support Or visit my Justgiving page for PSC Support at PSC Support - Justgiving
Have you signed up to the national donor register? If you haven't yet done so, please think about it, and let your family know your wishes.
Give the gift of life.
Join the NHS Organ Donor Register
Organ Donor Line 0845 60 60 400
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/register