Sunday 8 March 2009

The rain, the wind, the pain and then the hail...!

Distance: 14 miles
Time: 2h25m37s
Mile 1 - 9m27s
Mile 2 - 9m51s
Mile 3 - 9m50s
Mile 4 - 9m57s
Mile 5 - 10m06s
Mile 6 - 9m43s
Mile 7 - 9m50s
Mile 8 - 9m43s
Mile 9 - 9m58s
Mile 10 - 10m14s
Mile 11 - 10m27s
Mile 12 - 12m09s
Mile 13 - 11m46s
Mile 14 - 12m31s

I set out today a bit later than planned. I'd hope to get going by midday, to mimic next Sunday's Half Marathon at Silverstone. However the forecast showers turned up right on cue at noon. And it chucked it down. So I set out at about half past when the rain eased off.

Having loaded up on a huge bowl of ready brek for breakfast, and a lucozade sports chewy bar for a snack. It took a bit of fiddling with the Garmin to set-up my 14 mile training run. I'd already worked out yesterday evening how to calibrate it to measure 1 mile laps. So I hoped I'd got it set-up right, and set off, in the drizzle.

The main road was busy and I was thankful that the passing cars gave me a reasonably wide berth, and didn't cover me in water as they overtook me. Even though I was on the pavement there was enough surface water to give me a good shower if they got too close!

Approaching Mile 1 and I turn off the main road onto a quiet single track road. I'm pleased to see my Garmin counting down the distance to the mile point, and then bleeping quietly as it marks my first "lap". As usual, I'd set off too quickly. It's really hard to try to keep it down to 10 minute miles, especially when it's cold and wet and I want to get going to keep warm. Two and a half miles in and I take a right turn. This is new to me (well running anyway), as my 14 mile route today means I have an extra couple of sections to stretch my 12 mile route.

Mile 3 comes and goes without me noticing, so this is exactly the kind of place that I would have mis-measured the distance on my stopwatch. I'm sure the map showed Mile 3 as being just round the corner, but my Garmin had already registered that I was on Mile 4 now. The weather doesn't look much better, but then it doesn't look much worse either. I rip open my first carbo gel and slosh it down with some Lucozade sport. Over on the left I can see blue sky. That's were I'll be headed on Miles 9-12 so things are looking up.

Mile 5 and the sun breaks through, I can feel its warmth on my back. I'm feeling good. Mile 6 and 7 come up easily. Hurrah I'm half way. And when I reach Mile 8 I'm feeling great. Only 6 miles to go. That's easy street now. Then I turn the corner towards Mile 9. And the wind hits me. I hadn't noticed it really since Mile 3. And it drags me down. I'll just make it to the end of the road, and when I turn left out of the wind, I'll take my 2nd carbo gel. That sorts me out for a bit, and I'm in Charney Bassett. Only 4 miles to home, here comes Mile point 10. I'm starting to feel really chuffed. The run had started badly in the rain, but had just got better with each mile, and now I'm on the home stretch.

And then it hits. The wind picks up again. 3½ to go and the sun goes in. The clouds are darkening, and I can feel spots of rain on my face. Despite having not long had a carbo gel, my legs are tiring. Come on, I tell myself, only three and a bit miles to go now. I can do this. But it just gets harder. The rain starts up properly and I'm getting cold and wet again. At this point I think I made the mistake of slouching, dipping my head as I trudge into the wind and rain. Because now I feel a pain in my left glutes. I haven't felt this before. I slacken my pace, but it doesn't go. Then ouch! I feel a stabbing pain in my buttock. Not good. I walk it off and then start jogging again. Come on come on now, only 3 miles left. The pain has subsided to a dull ache, so I carry on. But the rain picks up again. I slog on until Mile 12 and as I approach Gainfield crossroads, there's that pain again. So I walk it off again. I try not to slouch, but the way I'm feeling and the increasing rain is not doing me any good.

With only 1½ miles to go, I'm back running again. I've got to keep going, keep warm and get back as fast as my tiring legs will take me. The pain in my hip has gone, but I can't pick up the pace. Another rush of wind from the right, and the rain turns to sleet. Yack. I see a deer running alongside me on the other side of the wall. I almost stop to say hello, but I don't have the energy. Then, just when I think things can't get any worse... they do. The rain turns to hail. Ouch. I'm really getting cold now. T-shirt soaked through, freezing rain on my face and now hail. Good grief, this has got to be the worst run I've ever encountered. I struggle on home, and take a short cut through the churchyard to get to my house more quickly, but then realise I'm still so close to getting to Mile 14, that I run round the green, and past my house towards the village hall, so as to make sure my Garmin registers the full distance.

14 miles done, and I'm done in. I was planning to let my daughter take my picture running, but scrap that. I just need to get in, get out of these soaking wet clothes, get bathed and get fed. Please, someone explain to me, what have I let myself in for? This running lark is somewhat less than fun today (politely understated!)

I really really am mad as a box of frogs for ever undertaking this in the first place....

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Don't give up now!!

Running 13.1 miles in memory of Carl

I ran the Silverstone Half Marathon on 15th March 2009. I managed the 13.1 mile course in 2 hours and 4 minutes. Not a bad effort for my first Half Marathon! I returned in 2010 to run it in 1 hour 54 minutes, and plan to do it again in 2011. I decided to run this in aid of The PSC Trust and PSC Support in memory of my brother Carl, who died from liver failure in November 1997. If you'd like to sponsor me for this - please email me at pscrun@ulen.me.uk PSC Trust
PSC Support Or visit my Justgiving page for PSC Support at PSC Support - Justgiving
Have you signed up to the national donor register? If you haven't yet done so, please think about it, and let your family know your wishes.
Give the gift of life.
Join the NHS Organ Donor Register
Organ Donor Line 0845 60 60 400
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/register