Saturday 14 March 2009

Gentle jog

Distance: 1.09 miles
Time: 10m31s

Just a gentle trot today, nothing too strenuous, as it's Silverstone Half Marathon day tomorrow. Since I'm staying over at a friend's this weekend, I gave my Garmin a chance to try out a completely new kind of run for me - one I haven't worked out on a map beforehand. I set off along a road I've never been down before, kept running for 5 minutes, then turned around and ran back again. No more worries about pouring over a map to sort out a route and calculate the distance. Just get out and go!! Ok, get out, wait for the Garmin to pick up a satellite signal, then go. As per usual I set off too fast, so slowed down once I'd got going. I haven't worked out how to judge a 10-minute-mile pace, which is what I think I want to do tomorrow. Luckily there'll be pacers there, so I can just follow them. I always seem to set off about 9-min-mile speed, which is good, but not something I think I can keep up for the whole half marathon. Not on my first one anyway. No doubt later in the year I'll be aiming for another one, and trying to beat the 2 hour time, but not this one. It's just another training run on the road to the London Marathon, so I'm not planning on doing any flying laps...

1 comment:

Phil said...

I'm useless at working out my pace too. Main problem being I don't know how far a mile is!
Hope you're recovering nicely!

Running 13.1 miles in memory of Carl

I ran the Silverstone Half Marathon on 15th March 2009. I managed the 13.1 mile course in 2 hours and 4 minutes. Not a bad effort for my first Half Marathon! I returned in 2010 to run it in 1 hour 54 minutes, and plan to do it again in 2011. I decided to run this in aid of The PSC Trust and PSC Support in memory of my brother Carl, who died from liver failure in November 1997. If you'd like to sponsor me for this - please email me at pscrun@ulen.me.uk PSC Trust
PSC Support Or visit my Justgiving page for PSC Support at PSC Support - Justgiving
Have you signed up to the national donor register? If you haven't yet done so, please think about it, and let your family know your wishes.
Give the gift of life.
Join the NHS Organ Donor Register
Organ Donor Line 0845 60 60 400
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/register