Thursday 19 March 2009

8 miles is now a short run!

Distance: 8.11 miles
Time: 1h12m25s
Mile 1 - 8m58s
Mile 2 - 8m52s
Mile 3 - 9m01s
Mile 4 - 9m11s
Mile 5 - 8m59s
Mile 6 - 8m40s
Mile 7 - 8m44s
Mile 8 - 8m50s
0.11m - 1m06s

Today called for a brisk 75 minute run, so by "brisk" over that distance I decided that meant an 8 mile run, trying for 9-minute-mile pace. It felt like I'd set off too fast as usual, but was pleased to see that I'd hit my target pace by mile 1 pretty spot on. I kept it up through mile 2, but miles 3 & 4 were a struggle as the wind was against me, and it felt like it was sapping my strength.

I took a carbo gel after 4 miles and told myself I was over the half way point now, so I should easily keep going. I wanted to up the pace like I did during the half marathon on Sunday, where I found it easy to speed up for the last 3 miles. Mile 5 I managed in my target time again, and then I did manage to speed up a little, but started to flag again when I got back to the village, and by the 8th mile I'd pretty much had enough so slowed right down for the last 150 yards.

Still, not bad to do this route in 72 minutes compared to the 77 minutes and 75 minutes it took me last time I ran it back in the middle of January. And this brings me to 73 miles so far this month, with still another 12 days of March left...

No comments:

Running 13.1 miles in memory of Carl

I ran the Silverstone Half Marathon on 15th March 2009. I managed the 13.1 mile course in 2 hours and 4 minutes. Not a bad effort for my first Half Marathon! I returned in 2010 to run it in 1 hour 54 minutes, and plan to do it again in 2011. I decided to run this in aid of The PSC Trust and PSC Support in memory of my brother Carl, who died from liver failure in November 1997. If you'd like to sponsor me for this - please email me at pscrun@ulen.me.uk PSC Trust
PSC Support Or visit my Justgiving page for PSC Support at PSC Support - Justgiving
Have you signed up to the national donor register? If you haven't yet done so, please think about it, and let your family know your wishes.
Give the gift of life.
Join the NHS Organ Donor Register
Organ Donor Line 0845 60 60 400
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/register