Friday 15 February 2008

All systems go!

The physio is still very confident that I can do the marathon. I'm doing all the right things to get through my injury. And, no, I'm not going to do myself any long term damage by running, and no I haven't torn a ligament. There is a little lateral play in both my legs, which isn't necessarily how the human body was designed to work, but nevertheless nothing to worry about. I need to keep on warming my quads before a run, icing my knee after a run, cross training (such as cycling or rowing) to keep exercising my leg muscles when not running, use ibuprofen gel to alleviate the discomfort being caused by the swelling (which is tiny, but what it causing the pain), stretch gently after a run (never before), and keep increasing the mileage, to make sure I'm fully prepared to run 26.2 miles in 8 weeks' time. Compression may help, but the massages are vital, so it's more time with the fitness roller and back to the physio next week, and maybe twice a week thereafter as necessary to really get my knee back to fitness.

Today's plan - four miles. It was cold, and it hurt (a bit), but with the added confidence that I'm up to the challenge and my knee is not going to spell a premature end to my running "hobby", I kept going, and upped my pace a little from the last couple of weeks, nothing too strenuous, but an improvement all the same:

Mile 1 - 12m43s
Mile 2 - 12m12s
Mile 3 - 12m01s
Mile 4 - 11m57s

A day off tomorrow, and then a 9-10 mile (2 hour) run on Sunday.

No comments:

Running 13.1 miles in memory of Carl

I ran the Silverstone Half Marathon on 15th March 2009. I managed the 13.1 mile course in 2 hours and 4 minutes. Not a bad effort for my first Half Marathon! I returned in 2010 to run it in 1 hour 54 minutes, and plan to do it again in 2011. I decided to run this in aid of The PSC Trust and PSC Support in memory of my brother Carl, who died from liver failure in November 1997. If you'd like to sponsor me for this - please email me at pscrun@ulen.me.uk PSC Trust
PSC Support Or visit my Justgiving page for PSC Support at PSC Support - Justgiving
Have you signed up to the national donor register? If you haven't yet done so, please think about it, and let your family know your wishes.
Give the gift of life.
Join the NHS Organ Donor Register
Organ Donor Line 0845 60 60 400
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/register