Friday 22 February 2008

Blinded by the light...

Revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night

Not an easy run this evening. The plan was six miles, and the first half seemed to be going ok, but each time I went along the main road, I was constantly blinded by the oncoming traffic, and couldn't see the pavement. Then on mile 4 my knee decided to tell me that it was a bit fed up with having run 22 miles this week, and really didn't want me to carry on to do 24. I argued with it through mile 5, then made the mistake of walking when I crossed the road instead of jogging about a third of the way into mile 6 and my knee upped the ante. Odd that I can jog through the discomfort for 2 miles, but slowing down to a walk then makes it hurt. I relented and quit at the half way point, and walked off the pain back home.

Mile 1 - 12m51s
Mile 2 - 12m51s
Mile 3 - 12m17s
Mile 4 - 13m09s
Mile 5 - 12m54s
Half mile - 7m29s

It's so much easier to run in daylight. A good day's rest tomorrow, and I'll be fit and ready for Sunday's 12-miler.

PS. Hello to Simon (of the hedge). It's always nice to hear shouts of encouragement when I'm out on a run round the village. Some of the best things I've been asked:
"Did I see you in Van Diemen's yesterday?"
"Have you been round the village already?"
"Are you ever allowed to stop?"
and the best one from my brother-in-law (upon seeing me starting the 6th mile of my first 6-mile run having been running for 59 minutes already):
"Stop slacking and get running!"

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I take it that's the brother in law who is out running with you to give you real support (and maybe get fit himself?!)...........not!!

H
xxxx

Running 13.1 miles in memory of Carl

I ran the Silverstone Half Marathon on 15th March 2009. I managed the 13.1 mile course in 2 hours and 4 minutes. Not a bad effort for my first Half Marathon! I returned in 2010 to run it in 1 hour 54 minutes, and plan to do it again in 2011. I decided to run this in aid of The PSC Trust and PSC Support in memory of my brother Carl, who died from liver failure in November 1997. If you'd like to sponsor me for this - please email me at pscrun@ulen.me.uk PSC Trust
PSC Support Or visit my Justgiving page for PSC Support at PSC Support - Justgiving
Have you signed up to the national donor register? If you haven't yet done so, please think about it, and let your family know your wishes.
Give the gift of life.
Join the NHS Organ Donor Register
Organ Donor Line 0845 60 60 400
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/register