Thursday 7 February 2008

Why is it so hard to run?

I'd planned a five mile run this evening. I left work in good time to get home in good time, to allow me an hour before dinner. I should have been out running by half past six, but by the time fully I'd warmed up my leg, and been to the loo and this and that and... oh come on, stop putting it off and just get out there and run, are you a man or a mouse!?!

And then, despite some pain in my leg, you know what? It felt great. Running is fun! It really is. I always feel great after a run, so why is it so hard to get going? Why do I feel so much like putting it off before the run? Why does my brain play tricks on me, I know I'll enjoy it once I get going...

Today I forced myself to take it slowly, by breathing in for 5 paces and out for 5 paces for the first half mile, then in and out for 4 paces for the next three miles, then 3 paces per breath for the last mile and a half.

Mile 1 - 12m20s
Mile 2 - 12m51s
Mile 3 - 13m33s
Mile 4 - 12m50s
Mile 5 - 12m48s

Tomorrow another run. A bit shorter this time. 3 miles? 4 miles? I'll have to go look it up. Then Saturday is a rest day (although I may do some light cross training), and then on Sunday I plan to head out on the road for an 8 mile circuit, not boring old laps of the village.

More tomorrow. Oh, and Simon - if you're reading this, please leave me a message! Come to think of it, anyone who's reading this - it would be nice if you left a comment. The next 9½ weeks are going to be long and tough (building up to 18 mile runs in mid march), so all words of support and encouragement are most appreciated!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Which particular Simon, who may or may not be following your progress?

ulen said...

Any or all of the three Simons that I know!!

Running 13.1 miles in memory of Carl

I ran the Silverstone Half Marathon on 15th March 2009. I managed the 13.1 mile course in 2 hours and 4 minutes. Not a bad effort for my first Half Marathon! I returned in 2010 to run it in 1 hour 54 minutes, and plan to do it again in 2011. I decided to run this in aid of The PSC Trust and PSC Support in memory of my brother Carl, who died from liver failure in November 1997. If you'd like to sponsor me for this - please email me at pscrun@ulen.me.uk PSC Trust
PSC Support Or visit my Justgiving page for PSC Support at PSC Support - Justgiving
Have you signed up to the national donor register? If you haven't yet done so, please think about it, and let your family know your wishes.
Give the gift of life.
Join the NHS Organ Donor Register
Organ Donor Line 0845 60 60 400
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/register