Monday 22 September 2008

Eating an hour before swimming

Distance: 250m
Breaststroke: 2
Crawl: 8

Apparently the old adage that you shouldn't swim for at least an hour after eating is apocryphal.
There is no solid basis in medical advice that the stomach is busy digesting your food, thus diverting much needed blood supply from the rest of your body, meaning you're likely to drown. It's possible this myth was made up by parents who felt disinclined to supervise their children at the beach after a picnic without having an hour's rest to themselves first.

However, since I breakfasted late today (only a couple of hours before I went for my swim), I didn't feel as energetic as I perhaps would have done had I not forgotten to get any milk and had to delay my bran flakes until I could buy some. Today's first lunchtime swim (since my holiday) was pretty hard going - each length seemed to tire me. And I kept getting water up my nose (not for much longer as I've bought a Speedo universal nose clip!), but at least I've made a start back in the pool. Which is good as I have 8 sessions left that I've already paid for, to be used by the end of the year.

No comments:

Running 13.1 miles in memory of Carl

I ran the Silverstone Half Marathon on 15th March 2009. I managed the 13.1 mile course in 2 hours and 4 minutes. Not a bad effort for my first Half Marathon! I returned in 2010 to run it in 1 hour 54 minutes, and plan to do it again in 2011. I decided to run this in aid of The PSC Trust and PSC Support in memory of my brother Carl, who died from liver failure in November 1997. If you'd like to sponsor me for this - please email me at pscrun@ulen.me.uk PSC Trust
PSC Support Or visit my Justgiving page for PSC Support at PSC Support - Justgiving
Have you signed up to the national donor register? If you haven't yet done so, please think about it, and let your family know your wishes.
Give the gift of life.
Join the NHS Organ Donor Register
Organ Donor Line 0845 60 60 400
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/register