Monday 29 December 2008

I've swum a mile!!

Distance: 1 mile - 1625 metres
Crawl: 65 lengths

I went for a swim in Abingdon today. I was planning to do at least 40 lengths, hopefully 50 and maybe, just maybe, I could do 64 lengths which is near enough a mile (0.994 miles).

I managed the first 20 lengths quite easily, but felt perhaps another 44 would be beyond me.
Once I'd completed 30 lengths I knew I could quite happily make it beyond 40, and was thinking perhaps I'd manage 50.
40 lengths down, and I started to believe that I might just make it to 64 after all.
50 lengths in, and it would have been ok so stop then, having swum 25% further than I ever have before, quite an achievement in itself. However I knew that I was close to swimming a mile, all I had to do was swim another couple of lengths, then another, then another, and so on.

When I'd reached 56, I knew I could do it. There was no point stopping then, I could make it to 60. Then when I'd made it to 60, it was only a little more effort to get to 64. Then I remembered that a mile is just over 64.... so I finished on 65 lengths to make sure I'd swum a full mile!

All in all it took me a little over an hour.

No comments:

Running 13.1 miles in memory of Carl

I ran the Silverstone Half Marathon on 15th March 2009. I managed the 13.1 mile course in 2 hours and 4 minutes. Not a bad effort for my first Half Marathon! I returned in 2010 to run it in 1 hour 54 minutes, and plan to do it again in 2011. I decided to run this in aid of The PSC Trust and PSC Support in memory of my brother Carl, who died from liver failure in November 1997. If you'd like to sponsor me for this - please email me at pscrun@ulen.me.uk PSC Trust
PSC Support Or visit my Justgiving page for PSC Support at PSC Support - Justgiving
Have you signed up to the national donor register? If you haven't yet done so, please think about it, and let your family know your wishes.
Give the gift of life.
Join the NHS Organ Donor Register
Organ Donor Line 0845 60 60 400
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/register