Sunday 11 July 2010

Day 29 - Sunday 11th July: Dry Tri 10k

2k Row: 8m10s
3k Run: 15m48s
5k Bike: 9m45s



I've taken up the great gym challenge for a bit of fun with other members of the realbuzz community, or Buzzers as we're otherwise known. Although so far only two of us have signed up to take part!

After a 5 minute warm up on the treadmill, I decided to start the challenge today with the 2000m row. I set the resistance to 5 (half way) and set off at an eager 32 strokes per minute. I normally row one or two 500m sprints in under 2 minutes each, so 8m10 was pretty good for the full 2k.

After a quick breather and top up on water I'm back on the treadmill for the next part of the challenge. I set the incline to 3 and the distance to 3.0k and I'm off, setting the pace up to 12.5kph although I slacken this off a little at half way. I'm sure I once ran 5 miles at a 12kph pace, so thought I should be able to go a bit faster for less than 2 miles. But that was in the Didcot gym, and this is Wantage, so it's quite possible that one or other of the treadmills is not calibrated very accurately. 15m48s feels a bit slow for 1.86 miles, as I reckon I could do that out on the road easily in under 15 minutes.

Lastly I'm on the bike for the 5k cycle. I set the resistance to 4 and set off at a steady pace. I'm not used to cycling any particular distance or speed on the bike in the gym, as usually I just do a 5 or 10 minute stint. Again out of the road I can easily manage 3 miles in under 12 minutes. How will that compare when I'm not going anywhere - or indeed having to propel my own bodyweight along the road? It turns out I make the 5000m in under 10 minutes which is doable on a real bike, but normally only when there's a downhill involved!

So my first attempt at this challenge is complete. I'll have some more goes at it, and see if I can shave some time off. I might try another gym too to see how different equipment compares!

No comments:

Running 13.1 miles in memory of Carl

I ran the Silverstone Half Marathon on 15th March 2009. I managed the 13.1 mile course in 2 hours and 4 minutes. Not a bad effort for my first Half Marathon! I returned in 2010 to run it in 1 hour 54 minutes, and plan to do it again in 2011. I decided to run this in aid of The PSC Trust and PSC Support in memory of my brother Carl, who died from liver failure in November 1997. If you'd like to sponsor me for this - please email me at pscrun@ulen.me.uk PSC Trust
PSC Support Or visit my Justgiving page for PSC Support at PSC Support - Justgiving
Have you signed up to the national donor register? If you haven't yet done so, please think about it, and let your family know your wishes.
Give the gift of life.
Join the NHS Organ Donor Register
Organ Donor Line 0845 60 60 400
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/register