Sunday 4 July 2010

Marathon number three - Loch Ness

Having run the Edinburgh Marathon on Sunday 23rd May, I was all set to sign up for the Abingdon Marathon in October. I'd been umming and ahhing about running another marathon this year, and wanted to see how I got in Edinburgh first. Once my disappointment of the run itself had passed, I was indeed keen to run another 26-miler. At this point I found that Abingdon was already full.

On the whole my training for Edinburgh had gone well, although a bit of plantar fasciitis (sore heel), followed by a dose of sinusitis, kept me from hitting the big runs in the latter stages of training. The longest I'd been on was 18.8 miles five weeks beforehand. Enough to get me round, but without the couple of planned 20-milers in the bank, it proved a struggle on the day - given the heat. It was the hottest May weekend on record in Edinburgh (hitting 25ÂșC), and everyone suffered in the sweltering conditions. I made it in 4 hours 42 minutes - so 12 minutes slower than London 2009.

As the London Marathon was my first one, I kept this blog. It was a useful tool to get me over the lows during training, and to keep me on track when the going got tough. I could share my frustrations with fellow marathoners-in-training. I didn't keep it up during training for Edinburgh, I simply threw myself into the runs, and didn't need the added boost of sharing all the details here. However a few people have commented that I didn't keep it going. So for my next challenge, that will change.

I've decided upon the Loch Ness Marathon on Sunday October 3rd 2010, and I started the 16-week training plan on Sunday 13th June. To kick start the plan, I decided to include more fitness work to a) improve my core stability (to make me a better runner), b) take advantage of my gym membership (by cramming in more gym classes) and c) to save money on driving to work (by cycling now and then instead!) Over the following 21 blog entries, you'll be able to see how I got on during these first three weeks. Don't panic - they're not long!

No comments:

Running 13.1 miles in memory of Carl

I ran the Silverstone Half Marathon on 15th March 2009. I managed the 13.1 mile course in 2 hours and 4 minutes. Not a bad effort for my first Half Marathon! I returned in 2010 to run it in 1 hour 54 minutes, and plan to do it again in 2011. I decided to run this in aid of The PSC Trust and PSC Support in memory of my brother Carl, who died from liver failure in November 1997. If you'd like to sponsor me for this - please email me at pscrun@ulen.me.uk PSC Trust
PSC Support Or visit my Justgiving page for PSC Support at PSC Support - Justgiving
Have you signed up to the national donor register? If you haven't yet done so, please think about it, and let your family know your wishes.
Give the gift of life.
Join the NHS Organ Donor Register
Organ Donor Line 0845 60 60 400
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/register